At last, it is the shortest day of the year. Up until now I have always greeted this day with joy, as the year’s cycle only starts improving (from my perspective) at this point as the days start extending again. Much though I would like to “celebrate”, my sense of optimism has truly flown the coop this year.
I continue to wonder why life can’t wait until I have attempted to absorb recent insidious heavy blows before throwing out yet more…and more?
A poignant day today – it is the anniversary of the death of a colleague/friend back in 2006 and this year I remember him (as always) whilst girding my loins for another loss…
“And other strains of woe, which now seem woe,
Compared with loss of thee, will not seem so.” (Shakespeare – Sonnet 90)
BUT…side by side with the tear stained cheeks is still a clenched fist grasping every flicker of hope and joy….
- My food shop is imminent. My fridge yawns – more than ready to be filled again
- My true friends and family continue to rally round me and continue to keep me standing each and every time I try to fall
- My Christmas will be packed full of people I love and who love me – as well as a groaning table and, dare I hope…laughter
- My cats remain steadfast and true!
- And hey…I am still alive…